Monday, April 02, 2007

Good start to the month

Running at 23.95 PTBB/100 so far in April over 966 hands of $.50 NL, which is nearly 5 buy-ins profit. Everything so far has been pretty standard with some good cards, although I found that I've inadvertently been playing a lot tighter preflop. I'm averaging 17.39%VPIP so far compared to my normal 22-23ish. On the flip side, my PFR is lower than normal at 12%. I imagine I'm probably calling too many 3-bets, because I'm putting in the first raise on a good chunk of what I'm playing.

I played 5 tournaments late Saturday night/Sunday morning and only cashed in one for a small amount. I might play another couple over the remainder of this week, but I'll probably stick primarily to cash games since I'm running really hot there.

------------

This hand is nothing too exciting and I'm still not positive I played it completely correctly. These kinds of hands have given me problems in the past. Villain seemed to be pretty loose/passive preflop and overall a rather poor player calling down with too much stuff.

Seat 1: SB ($39.40 in chips)
Seat 2: BB ($49.05 in chips)
Seat 3: Hero ($49.75 in chips)
Seat 6: Villain ($61.70 in chips)
bodman1: posts small blind $0.25
bassjada23: posts big blind $0.50
Appetjoek: sits out
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to corndog04 [7c 7d]
Hero: raises $1.50 to $2
Villain: calls $2
SB: folds
BB: folds

This is a pretty standard bet in this situation. Villain will call with probably the top 50% of his hands here, so I don't quite know what to expect.

*** FLOP *** [5d 3d 2d]
Hero: bets $3
Villain: calls $3

I probably should have bet more here, maybe $4 or $5. Not much information gained really, as this could be anything from a high diamond, straight draw, or even a pair of fives or something. With the heavy draws out there I don't think he has a made hand yet b/c he would need to raise to protect anything but a nut flush.

*** TURN *** [5d 3d 2d] [Qc]
Hero: bets $4
Villain: calls $4

This bet size was even worse than the flop bet. I guess it is some sort of probe bet, but it surely won't scare this guy off any draws from what I've seen. I think with him calling behind I can probably eliminate any chance that he hit the flop hard, as he would almost certainly raise by now. I don't think the queen could have hit him unless by dumb luck.

At this point I have to plan for the river. I'm reasonably sure that I am ahead. However, I'm not confident enough to value bet. I decide to check a non-scary river and give him a chance to bluff a worse hand. I will bet a scary river and fold to any raise. Reasonable? I don't know.

*** RIVER *** [5d 3d 2d Qc] [2h]
Hero: checks
Villain: bets $20

He made a better stab at this pot than I expected. Although I had planned to call if he bet, I wasn't expecting it to be a full pot-sized bet. I had to tank here and really try to determine his ranges. I decided he is betting this amount on a monster or a pure bluff. As far as monster hands, this could be 55, 33, A4, a good flush, or 2-x. Of those, I can only see 2-x or diamond A-x playing it this way. His bluffing hands are any missed high diamond, or any missed straight draw where he held an A, a 4, or a 6 in his hand, K5, A5, K3, and A3.

This was a very close situation for me. I felt I had an edge against his range but I have been historically bad at making high dollar and somewhat thin +EV calls like this.

Hero: calls $20
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Villain: shows [4s Ks] (a pair of Deuces)
Hero: shows [7c 7d] (two pair, Sevens and Deuces)
corndog04 collected $56.75 from pot

There we have it. I feel like I made the correct call, but I've found myself in a similar situation before where I've lost some decent money calling a river bet like this. I think the key difference this time was that I did a better job of processing his ranges here and determining what kinds of hands he is moving like this with, and realized it was dominated by hands that I'm beating.

-------------------

I submitted some resumes today for a couple of positions in semiconductor-based companies. Both of them call for a MS degree or a BS with experience, so I have that covered at least. I'm starting to think that nothing is going to come from the interviews I had a couple of weeks ago with one of the big semi companies but I'm going to try to give them a call to follow up within the next day or two.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home